• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robert Haack Diamonds responds to their position...

Teej

In Minnesota, you can't carry your firearm into the Mall of America (from what I heard). All of those store owners might not agree with the malls decision, but by boycotting that mall, you are hurting their livelihood.

However, in Minnesota if you ignore the sign, you still aren't in trouble unless you are personally notified and asked to leave. If you refuse, then you can be hit with a $25 fine.

MKEgal

Bret said:
I did contact the NRA to see what can be done to come up with a solution without hurting our economy.
You can choose not to post. If you choose to tell us we're not welcome, we will respect your private property rights & won't come in.
It won't hurt the economy, because there are other places to shop.
It will only hurt the individual stores that post: in lost revenue, lost reputation, & (probably, if WI is like the other states that have cc) robberies.

Why does the law protect the bars from boycotts? Shouldn't you have a right to drink and carry a gun?
If a bar or restaurant chooses to post, as some already have, we'll go elsewhere.
It's private property, it's their choice if they want to turn away customers, but they're being foolish by turning away the most law-abiding people & advertising to criminals that there won't be any resistance.

rcawdor57 said:
No where in the new law that I know of does it prevent someone from open carrying in a bar AND drinking.
Under the new law, in order to enter a place w/ a class B license (restaurant or bar) an armed person must have a permit (or be an on-duty officer, or one of the other exceptions, which still include having permission).
See 941.237, and the amendments to it in SB93 (bottom left of pg 16)
So yeah, if someone had permission & was OCing, they could have a beer with their dinner at a restaurant.

Now, if they're having a picnic in a park, or their own yard, no law says they can't as long as they don't reach the undefined "materially impaired" standard, or the .08%BAC standard (since most of the 'intoxicated use of a' laws mention both firearms & motor vehicles).

Bret said:
The threats are real.
Do I feel like anyone is going to act on them? No.
As other people have said, report those crimes to the police.
All of us here (including a former customer) are simply asking you not to post,
& saying that if you do post we won't spend money there.
We'll abide by your wishes.

I am curious about one of the 'threats' that was highlighted on the news, where someone said that if he saw you being harmed he wouldn't help, or would wait to call police, or something like that. That's not a threat.

The argument that people have been making is you wont feel protected unless you are carrying your gun.
How did you live in Wisconsin for so long with your personal security on the line?
I carry openly. And it was a threat to my personal security (after being the victim of several violent crimes) that made me decide to be able to protect myself.
I read/watch the news, I am aware of violent crime. I am aware that Milwaukee is the most violent city in WI, by about twice the rate of the #2 city. (Use the FBI data tool.)

you can't carry your firearm into the Mall of America (from what I heard). All of those store owners might not agree with the malls decision, but by boycotting that mall, you are hurting their livelihood.
So the stores can move, live with the situation, or get the mall to change its policy.
Unless the mall has metal detectors, the only people they're keeping out (or preventing from being armed) are the ones who follow the law.

I think there is a good solution somewhere.
How about not posting?
You admitted yourself that a sign won't stop criminals:
now I have to put a sign up saying 'no guns allowed'. Again, it's still not going to stop the bad guy from coming in with the gun.
And with the experience from the rest of the states that have similar cc laws, we know that lawfully-armed citizens, esp. ones with permits, are the most law-abiding group of people, above even police.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

IcrewUH60

I think he should just man-up and post no guns allowed. And we should quietly let him go about his business.

Just like UW Credit Union, they don't ever get robbed because they have a "no guns" policy (sarcasm).

Let him and others learn and lead from their decisions. If his business increases, great! If it shrinks, then that's on him.

More importantly... who cares about these Haack diamonds or these Haack policies anyways?