• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robert Haack Diamonds responds to their position...

oak1971

I guess I will have purchase my diamond encrusted 1911 grips elsewhere. They leave your hands cut and bleeding, but provide great grip. :D

roberthaackdiamonds

Channel 12 chimes in with a story

Hi,

First, I did contact the NRA to see what can be done to come up with a solution without hurting our economy.

Second, channel 12 did a nice story. http://www.wisn.com/news/28389342/detail.html#COMMENTTOP

Third, why is there a law saying you can't drink and conceal? If you go to a bar and drink you can't bring in your firearm.

Instead of boycotting and complaining, let's come up with a solution BEFORE this law take affect.

Bret
Again, you are welcome to post on our facebook page under Robert Haack Diamonds.

If I build a security locker where the locker and keys are outside, so you can put your weapon away while you shop, would that be a good compromise?

roberthaackdiamonds

Bret,

I would invite you to come join us this Friday, the 1st at Lizzie's for dinner. A bunch of us will show up starting around 6:30 pm. You can talk to Adam and Lizzie, the owners, and see what their experience has been.

In addition, I invite you to our get together this next Sunday at the Delavan Starbucks. We normally have 15-25 people. The record is 70! If you talk to the employees, you will get feedback as well.

See, we come with references!

I am happy that we are getting the ball rolling / discussion started. I actually contacted the NRA to see if there is a solution.

For Adam and Lizzie, if they sell alcohol, according to the law from what someone told me, is you can't have a concealed weapon while drinking. Why does the law protect the bars from boycotts? Shouldn't you have a right to drink and carry a gun?

My point is, our store does deal with the public. I would say about 1 out of 300 is on something. Apparently, the law states that you can't drink and conceal in a bar.

There has to be a solution out there.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Hi,

First, I did contact the NRA to see what can be done to come up with a solution without hurting our economy.

Second, channel 12 did a nice story. http://www.wisn.com/news/28389342/detail.html#COMMENTTOP

Third, why is there a law saying you can't drink and conceal? If you go to a bar and drink you can't bring in your firearm.

Instead of boycotting and complaining, let's come up with a solution BEFORE this law take affect.

Bret
Again, you are welcome to post on our facebook page under Robert Haack Diamonds.

If I build a security locker where the locker and keys are outside, so you can put your weapon away while you shop, would that be a good compromise?

Why is there a law that says you can't drink and drive? Heck, I go to the bar and drink rootbeer and get dinner all the time. I'll be able to carry just fine. This is a totally different scenerio than yours.

I agree, let's come up with a solution.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I feel bad that you and other business owners may be getting stupid threats like the one outlined in the story. Instead of making stupid threats, most of us would only say that if you don't allow it, we won't shop in your business.

Anyway, if you put in a security locker inside the entrance of your business then you would probably get the benifit of the civil liability immunity. If it was outside you probably wouldn't

In any case it's silly and has more of a propensity for danger than allowing armed citizens in your store. Think about it. People handling loaded weapons and putting them in and out of a locker? Entropy? Murphies Law? Leaving them in the holster is a way safer alternative.

If it was my business I just wouldn't have any policy on the matter at all, then implied consent takes precidence without any negative publicity and you get the immunity to civil liability. People are going to notice a "No guns" sign but they won't notice no sign at all and probably won't even question your policy.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Until The Law Passes...We Actually Are Open Carrying.

I am happy that we are getting the ball rolling / discussion started. I actually contacted the NRA to see if there is a solution.

For Adam and Lizzie, if they sell alcohol, according to the law from what someone told me, is you can't have a concealed weapon while drinking. Why does the law protect the bars from boycotts? Shouldn't you have a right to drink and carry a gun?

My point is, our store does deal with the public. I would say about 1 out of 300 is on something. Apparently, the law states that you can't drink and conceal in a bar.

Hello Bret,

Lizzy's doesn't have a license to sell alcohol and even if they did we WOULD have permission to open carry there since the owners have given us permission to open carry in their restaurant. On July 1st Lizzy and Adam will be opening a lounge which adjoins their restaurant and they have already informed me that we (open carriers) have permission to open carry in their lounge where alcohol is served. Currently there is no law that I know of that prohibits a person from open carrying and consuming alcohol (as long as the current limit is not exceeded) but it is not condoned by anyone that I know of who open carries. I can honestly say that every single person I have met who open carries (and that is a LOT of people) will never touch a drop of alcohol in public while open carrying.

As for concealed carry you are correct about the new law (when it passes) prohibiting drinking in a bar while carrying concealed with the license. No where in the new law that I know of does it prevent someone from open carrying in a bar AND drinking.

Paul is a great guy as are all the others whom I know that open carry. We meet at Lizzy's Green Cafe in Kansasville every other Friday evening for their wonderful fish fry dinner. They serve more than fish so if you are a burger or chicken or salad or soup person I am sure you would enjoy the cuisine.

Here is the address: 3731 S Beaumont Ave
Kansasville, WI 53139

Their days and hours are Tuesday through Sunday from 7 A.M. to 2 P.M. except Friday they re-open at 4 P.M. for the fish dinner and close at 10 P.M. Friday night.

I hope you can join us this Friday around 6:30 or so.

comp45acp

Hi,

Bret

Bret, the gun locker idea would only work if you have metal detectors at the entrance. Do you think the bad guys would otherwise leave their guns in the locker? This has really been blown out of proportion compared to what will actually happen. Just as in other states, some businesses will post. They will soon see that all the fears they have about armed good guys are unfounded. The signs start coming down because business people will all finally ask themselves, "why am I keeping the most law-abiding citizens in the state out of my store?" Many businesses have already figured this out and have policies that they just follow state law in regards to carry, Roundy's, Best Buy, Menard's, Culver's, Home Depot, Walmart and many others.

protias

Anyway, if you put in a security locker inside the entrance of your business then you would probably get the benifit of the civil liability immunity. If it was outside you probably wouldn't.

I too do not want to be forced to handle my loaded firearm. While I know how to safely handle it, I just do not want to risk an accidental discharge.

roberthaackdiamonds

I agree that this is a boon of free advertising for Brett, and I don't believe he actually received any threats. I say let this issue die off, and let him take his business where he chooses to go with it.

If he wants to say we are "black listing" him, banishing him or its a "boycott" let him. Doesn't change the fact that he chooses to infringe on our right, and we can choose to shop where our right is NOT infringed upon.

Hi,

The threats are real. Do I feel like anyone is going to act on them? No. My wife is the one that is angry about people threatening our family and some of the threats can be pretty graphic. :(

The argument that people have been making is you wont feel protected unless you are carrying your gun. How did you live in Wisconsin for so long with your personal security on the line?

In Minnesota, you can't carry your firearm into the Mall of America (from what I heard). All of those store owners might not agree with the malls decision, but by boycotting that mall, you are hurting their livelihood.

I think there is a good solution somewhere. We need to find the solution BEFORE the law goes into affect. I did contact the NRA to see if they have any ideas. :)

paul@paul-fisher.com

Bret,

The law in affect today says we can open carry in a bar and consume alcohol with permission of the owner/holder of the liquor license. When the new law takes effect (11/1/11), we can conceal or open carry in a bar without permission (assuming no sign) as long as we don't drink and have a permit or, with permission and without a permit, open carry and drink.

There is existing law that talks about being 'materially impaired' while possessing a firearm so I 'assume' that there are the same limits as driving.

Just to be clear, I am not advocating drinking and carrying, just telling you the current and proposed law.

One other clarification, Lizzies, at least last time I was there, didn't serve alcohol. Also, WI makes no distinction between a dedicated bar and a restaurant, such as Applebee's or Chili's that serves drinks.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
The argument that people have been making is you wont feel protected unless you are carrying your gun. How did you live in Wisconsin for so long with your personal security on the line?

Huh? We HAVE been carrying guns. This is an open carry forum you know. :D

And it's also the principle of the matter.

Last edited:

protias

Hi,

The threats are real. Do I feel like anyone is going to act on them? No. My wife is the one that is angry about people threatening our family and some of the threats can be pretty graphic. :(

In Minnesota, you can't carry your firearm into the Mall of America (from what I heard). All of those store owners might not agree with the malls decision, but by boycotting that mall, you are hurting their livelihood.

I think there is a good solution somewhere. We need to find the solution BEFORE the law goes into affect. I did contact the NRA to see if they have any ideas. :)

I never understood why someone would make a threat against another person. If you haven't already, I would highly suggest contacting the police and seeing they can trace the phone numbers to where those people are calling.

As for the Mall of America, people are still carrying concealed there.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Hi,

I open carry today. I don't go places where my sidearm isn't welcome, with minor exceptions.

I used to go to Panera, for example, once a week or so. We had setup an open carry meeting at one of their restaurants and 30 minutes before it was going to start, they posted all of their stores in WI. I haven't been to Panera since. I can go to Culvers and many other restaurants where they are at least neutral if not openly welcoming.

I used to go to Blain's Farm & Fleet before they made a big deal of posting. I now go to Lowe's or Home Depot or Menard's or Fleet Farm.

I used to go to Aldi's. They have a sign in their store. I now do ALL my grocery shopping at Piggly Wiggly and Sentry.

I do all this while open carrying.

wrightme

Hi,

The argument that people have been making is you wont feel protected unless you are carrying your gun. How did you live in Wisconsin for so long with your personal security on the line? In Minnesota, you can't carry your firearm into the Mall of America (from what I heard). All of those store owners might not agree with the malls decision, but by boycotting that mall, you are hurting their livelihood.

How do you justify staying in business in a location where you feel the need to disarm ALL of your customers, including the law-abiding ones?

Boycotting a business is a legitimate method of attempting to effect change. Do you consider boycotts to be "threats?"

You have been patently ignoring a VERY GOOD solution, in hopes of arriving at YOUR DESIRED solution.

If you simply follow the new law, and do not post your store, you win all around. You, for some reason, are choosing to NOT do this. That is entirely your choice. It is also entirely the choice of those who carry firearms to choose to shop elsewhere if you do not allow them to provide for their own SD. Those who "threaten" to no longer shop there, or who "threaten" to "tell everyone they know to boycott your store," are not uttering "threats." For actual threats you, your employees, or your family receive, I encourage you to report those to LE, and work to prosecute THOSE people if found to the fullest extent of the law. But, "threatening to boycott," though it may have a negative economic impact upon you and your business, is not a "threat."

Last edited:

AaronS

Hi,

First I need to say that I am sorry for any threats you may have gotten over this. I would send them to the Police ASAP. I would also have to recommend that you start to carry a gun in your store, as you were seen on TV telling all that you will not let guns in. Bummer is, you did that to you...

Second thing I have to say is that I do not know much about The Mall of America. It is not in Wisconsin...

Final point is that I will not shop in your store until you change your thinking about lawful people. If Pick'n Save did what you did (on TV no less) I would not spend my money with them...
This "ball" is not just in your court, you are the one that made this a game...
Your actions show me that you do not respect, or even trust the people that spend cash at your store.
By the way, the last time I was in your store I WAS carrying OPEN! Feel free to look us up (Sky). It was a smaller gun, and I would guess your "security" guy did not see it. I did come in and sit down right away. Guess it is easy to miss...
My wife just picked up her ring last week (resize). I had to wait outside for her (because you don't trust me). Last time I ever do that...

Please feel free to let me know if you do change your mind.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
First I need to say that I am sorry for any threats you may have gotten over this. I would send them to the Police ASAP. I would also have to recommend that you start to carry a gun in your store, as you were seen on TV telling all that you will not let guns in. Bummer is, you did that to you...

Second thing I have to say is that I do not know much about The Mall of America. It is not in Wisconsin...

Final point is that I will not shop in your store until you change your thinking about lawful people. If Pick'n Save did what you did (on TV no less) I would not spend my money with them...
This "ball" is not just in your court, you are the one that made this a game...
Your actions show me that you do not respect, or even trust the people that spend cash at your store.
By the way, the last time I was in your store I WAS carrying OPEN! Feel free to look us up (Sky). It was a smaller gun, and I would guess your "security" guy did not see it. I did come in and sit down right away. Guess it is easy to miss...
My wife just picked up her ring last week (resize). I had to wait outside for her (because you don't trust me). Last time I ever do that...

Please feel free to let me know if you do change your mind.

he won't change his mind but then again he does not have to he is wealthly, his store makes a lot of money & he can be selective who he takes money from in this economy.. NOT

KBCraig

How do you justify staying in business in a location where you feel the need to disarm ALL of your customers, including the law-abiding ones?
Excellent point.

Boycotting a business is a legitimate method of attempting to effect change. Do you consider boycotts to be "threats?"
I find it curious that it's been positioned as a "gun carrier boycott" of Haack. Gun carriers can't boycott, because they're not allowed there in the first place.

"Robert Haack Diamonds is boycotting gun owners" is the more accurate version.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Robert Hoplophobe Diamonds....

This quote, from one of his many "15 minutes of Fame" interviews really spells out what kind of a person he is, why I certainly will never enter his store, and why I will tell anybody who will listen never to give him any business:
At Robert Haack Diamonds near 76th and Layton Blvd., Owner Bret Eulberg says his jewelry business will not allow guns. "It's crazy, now I have to put a sign up saying 'no guns allowed'. Again, it's still not going to stop the bad guy from coming in with the gun."

Eulberg says he's concerned that the presence of guns could escalate disputes. "You don't want to have that worry all the time. You want to make sure we are just normal people here not I don't want to say something bad and all of the sudden you whip out a gun at me."
He must have had a very troubled childhood....